A REPORT ON THE WAKISO VOCATIONAL CENTRE ENTEBBE (WVCE)
I was requested to express my impression of the workshop, what I have learnt, what is good for me to use, whether I want this again and if yes, why and if no, why not and lastly what was less good.
I enrolled as a student to pursue a certificate in “Front Desk” on April 15th 2022. There were four course units involved, which included communication skills, computer skills, entrepreneurship skills and front office. The lectures took place four times a week i.e. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday , time to study was five hours every day from 9:00am to 2:00pm.
The lack of a library made it very difficult for me to carry out my research.
The facilities were quite poor, the lecture rooms had neither white boards nor ceilings.
I also missed a computer laboratory, which made it hard to practice my computer skills efficiently. Unfortunately not every student was able to use the PC when it was necessary for the PC lessons.
Due to what I mentioned above I request the following to be worked on:
- Computer and learning aids: more PCs for the school and a main and bigger computer room to provide internet services for students and staff. This will enable students to better practice their skills and do research while using the internet and the computers.more PCs for the school and a main and bigger computer room to provide internet services for students and staff. This will enable students to better practice their skills and do research while using the internet and the computers.
2. Better equipment in lecture rooms
3. A library and business center: I recommend a library, where students are able to read and have access to books for their study purposes as well as doing research for homework given by the instructors.
Despite the challenges, I learned
- how to welcome guests
- to attend to the requests of guests
- to receive letters and deliver them to the respective office
- to receive and reply to emails
- to receive and direct them to the respective officers if necessary
- to acquire entrepreneurship skills
- communication skills
All of the above will be a great benefit to me in the near future.
Reported by Sophia Abdulwahab Muzamil Schill